Skip to main content

Pete's Road Trip

Two weeks ago my friend Pete decided to take a road trip without me. If you're like me, you're probably thinking some friend right? I guess it goes to show you that like most friendships, we too were total opposites.

In our teen years, Pete was always there for my major sports accomplishments. For example, when we went to team camp at High Point University he and I won the 2 on 2 competition for the first time, together. A few years later we won the North Carolina State 3-A Basketball Title, and in my sophomore year of college he was in the stands when I scored my first collegiate touchdown. He and our mutual friend Johnny were going nuts. I celebrated so hard that Lamont Burns had to slap me so that we could kick the extra point.

Pete was like a little brother to me. So like any other sibling relationship, I would have never told him that he was my motivation for my many athletic accomplishments. It's a part of the unspoken sibling code, worry your brothers, sisters and close friends to no end without telling them that you care. For anyone who's reading this, you'd be a fool to live by that code after reading this blog.

All of what I'm saying sounds like normal friends stuff right? Here's the obvious twist, Pete had cancer. The 2 on 2 championship was the last one that we played in together. He never made it onto the court for the state championship game. He was in remission when he came down to hang out with Johnny and I for the football games.

Pete, was the poster child for inspiration, hope, dedication and most importantly brotherhood. For 15 plus years my friend took me on a journey that only an angel could. Pete's road trip was special. He never complained. He never allowed anyone to feel sorry for him. He was your number one fan even when the stands were empty. If the world had more Pete's living would be a cake walk. FYI, before "Pete" took his road trip, he knew that he was more than my motivation.

Below are a few images of my last journey with Pete. I'm glad his flight will be smoother than the one I was on flying back to Baltimore.

Jeffrey Allen Wilson "Pete"












Comments

staff said…
when and where did this take place?
Michelle Wilson said…
Wow,JJ this is awesome! Pete was not only my cousin, but he was like a big brother to me. I can recall when he came out of surgery, and the nurse asked who is Michelle and Kelian? I answered her, and her reply was honey he has been asking for you since he came out of surgery. I knew right then I would be there for him every step of the way. This experience was life changing for me and my family. He never complained, even though I could tell that he was in pain. I could go on and on about this journey of cancer. One moment that will stay with me the rest of my life is when my family gathered around the hospital bed, and I prayed. Pete started calling on the name of Jesus, there was not a dry eye in the room. We all left that day with joy in our hearts, because we knew that Pete was in the best hands he could be in "GOD'S hands". Thank you for being a true friend to Pete. Love ya!
J.J. McQueen said…
Which part of the blog are you referring to Ace?
Dontre said…
This just goes to show what a true friend isan and that u can not take life for granted because u never know when it is ur time too go. Jj I am sooo proud of how u have grown into ur manhood, and aunt zelma, nanna, and grandad r all smilling and at peace seeing u all grown up!I love u big cuz!
Eve said…
Wow-this is beautiful JJ. It's amazing how God puts people in your life. Your relationship with him will carry you to a lot more places than you will ever know.
Thanks for sharing such a heartfelt story.
Anonymous said…
As I read this blog and look at the pictures I'm thinking PHENOMENAL but that is an understatement!! JJ you have truly outdone yourself. Our family has been blessed to have had the opportunity to grow up around such an inspiring young man and equally as blessed to have the support of such wonderful friends in our time of sorrow. There is a huge hole in our lives where Pete used to be. I thought that my life had again resumed a sense of normalcy but as I read this today and looked at pictures posted by Michelle yesterday I realize that this journey is only just the beginning. I'm sure it will be a tumultuous one but as long as we "STAY STRONG" and "STICK TOGETHER" family we WILL get through this. I love you all with an unconditional, unending kind of love and let us not miss the lesson that we are supposed to receive from this storm. Thanks JJ, luv ya man!!
AUNTIE said…
WOW!!!!!!!!
J THIS IS SO TOUCHING.YOU HAVE TOUCHED SO MANY LIVES AND A TURE FRIEND YOU ARE.
J,THANKS ALL THE TALKS WE HAD WHEN I FELT LIKE I COULD NOT MAKE IT.
GROWN FROM A BOY TO A MAN WITH THE LOVE OF JESUS FOR HIS PEOPLE.
WOW!!!!!
~Jessica~ said…
The pictures and your words were very touching. Thank you for sharing this with the world. Jeff "Pete" is a truely special person.
~Jessica~ said…
The pictures and your words were very touching. Thank you for sharing this with the world. Jeff "Pete" is a truely special person.
Tina said…
JJ, this is awesome!! I can't stop crying. As you know this has been a big lost to all of us. Peter was a very special person, not only was he my brother, he was a friend, and my biggest supporter. I feel so lost and empty since he's been gone. JJ, I want to thank you for being such a WONDERFUL FRIEND to Pete.
Love you!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Measure of a Man.........

the details are below the photos it's a must read story for the men.... The title of this blog maybe familiar to some, it's that of the autobiography of actor Sidney Poitier.  When you mention his name the words courage, great, intelligent, daring, brilliant and faithful may come to mind.  I've got a new name that replaces those words, Von Johnson.   My friend. My brother.  My cousin.  My new HERO. How and what does that have to do with the title? Yesterday, I observed what it means to live the final portion of your wedding vows,  "till death do us part"...... I can't even put it into words how I felt yesterday.  The only word that comes close is "helpless".   It was one of the rare moments in life where you want to take someone else's pain and throw it down the river and start fresh. I learned what the measure of a man is all about.   Can you live on life's edge and handle all it dishes out?  Can you stand in the toughest moments of opposit

The Players That You Never Knew

With the opening Friday Night of the 2014 high school football season on the horizon, every barbershop in every small-town in America is probably buzzing with the conversation of who are greatest high school football players of all time.  It's a valid question considering the pool of talent that passes through most small towns.  People often wonder where these guys end up long after their playing days are over.  I've often asked the same question about many of my ex-teammates. Two in particular, Darius Brewnington and Kenny Shaw. If you were an athlete in the early 1990's they were arguably considered two of the most influential athletes in North Carolina's rich high school football history.  Unfortunately, like many other high profile athletes life happens.  However, even with the growing pains of life every man has his day of redemption.  With Darius and Kenny being former teammates of mine I wanted to see for myself who they are 20 years removed from fame. So t