Skip to main content

The Players That You Never Knew


With the opening Friday Night of the 2014 high school football season on the horizon, every barbershop in every small-town in America is probably buzzing with the conversation of who are greatest high school football players of all time.  It's a valid question considering the pool of talent that passes through most small towns.  People often wonder where these guys end up long after their playing days are over.  I've often asked the same question about many of my ex-teammates. Two in particular, Darius Brewnington and Kenny Shaw.

If you were an athlete in the early 1990's they were arguably considered two of the most influential athletes in North Carolina's rich high school football history.  Unfortunately, like many other high profile athletes life happens.  However, even with the growing pains of life every man has his day of redemption.  With Darius and Kenny being former teammates of mine I wanted to see for myself who they are 20 years removed from fame. So this past week I sat down with the two of them to discuss their journey.  I wanted the message to be shared from their mouths to my ears with no filter.

Needless to say their transparency was eye opening.  They both echoed that their perception of the game was just that, a game, and their perception of life was real.  They both lived in fatherless single parent homes and longed for the structure that most boys need from positive male figures.  I asked them about the impact of not having a father in the home and their responses were.  (Darius and Kenny), "If we had fathers we would have had the discipline/influence of a man at home. We wouldn't have had the option to do some of the things outside of practice and school that we did wrong. We needed guidance, we needed structure."

My follow up question was, is not having a father the motivation for you both being involved fathers?  Kenny, "It definitely is. It's the reason why I do what I can do, because I know what's it's like to not have a dad in the picture. I know the impact".  It wasn't hard to figure out that Darius and Kenny both had regrets about some of their youthful choices of being fatherless sons.  Yet their transparency never wavered in our conversation.  In that transparency Darius shared with me his greatest self-inflicted shot and his greatest accomplishment.

He (Darius) was brutally honest about his time incarceration. He shared nuggets of how strong the pull of breaking the chains on doing the right things post release were.  He also shared the relief of making new and refreshing life decisions.  He ranks his new lease on life at the top of his greatest accomplishments.  Much like his playing days he's not allowing youthful choices to define who he is as he moves forward in life.

From there we visited who they are now, and how they embrace what many perceived them to be 20 years ago.  That part of the conversation moved us to the topic of leadership. I asked Kenny how did you get to be a leader? He humbly said, "I've learned that leaders are born this way. You don't chose it, it choses you. You can do the right thing with it or the wrong thing with it. With my gift of leadership I've decided to give back to the kids in the community.  I'm the head coach of a little league team now, and I understand the power of choice on a different scale".  Darius said, "It's (leadership) not a choice it's a part of who we are.  If telling my story saves one kid then I've done my just due with the kids in my community.  I know who I am now, and I know that my life has meaning and purpose, and I can't waist it. I have to help save the young men in my community from some of the things that I did".

In my closing question to Kenny, I asked him how did he handle so much success at such an early age?  His response was, "I never looked at myself as a star and I still don't.  My only goal was to play hard.  I never came to Andrews looking to break records.  I just wanted to win and help my team.  D (Darius) and I never talked about football on the outside of school, but when it was time to play we were ready".  Darius's response added additional clarity. "That's what we were suppose to do, breaking records and being the best was the standard at Andrews.  We fell in line with everyone else because that's what was expected of us".    

As a former teammate of both men, it's hard to imagine this story having a tragic ending.  I mean how can it?  To sit down with Darius and Kenny for over an hour chopping it up about old times, one can't help but celebrate their willingness to not quit.  Most importantly it gives everyone a chance to digest the why.  Why were two of the greatest high school sports stars ever even in the conversation of the players that you never knew?  It's simple, without them there wouldn't be anyone to help save our young men and boys from what others don't understand.

So now when you hear the question of what happened to Darius Brewington and Kenny Shaw, simply answer, they're growing up just like the rest of the players that you never knew...  The Red Raider legacy never dies because it knows no defeat.  It only knows the jubilation of redemption and victory. Future Hall of Famers...
To be continued... 


Left: Kenny Shaw Right: Darius Brewington
Photo by: J.J. McQueen


Comments

Jeremiah Rorie said…
I love my friends! Transparency is such a great quality to have. Most people spent their time covering up the real, but its the ability to let people in is truly what helps! I love my friends! GREAT JOB J.J. McQueen!
Anonymous said…
So awesome to see you both overcoming adversity in your lives. Kudos to you both!!! I am so proud I knew you both & that you are really making something out of your lives by giving back!!
teeny barrino said…
Darius was one of my idols in track and field and I will always be a fan. Big ups to my home team!
Hank Wall said…
Great job on the interview as usual JJ. I am so glad that these young men are giving back to the High Point community. I hope to be able to get in touch with them both and assist them in any way I can in their continued growth.
Anonymous said…
I enjoyed the article but I think that JJ should have went a little deeper into their lives of the choices that they made so that if other youth are going through the same things they can reflect. Let's keep it real. Both Darius and Kenny---so talented. I grew up fatherless also and the lack of definitely impacted my life as well. I graduated with these guys, saw what I saw, no one really knows right.........but let's be real did you ask for help? To whomever might read this post 7 years later I say to you please do not be afraid to ask for help. Do not be too proud.

Popular posts from this blog

The Measure of a Man.........

the details are below the photos it's a must read story for the men.... The title of this blog maybe familiar to some, it's that of the autobiography of actor Sidney Poitier.  When you mention his name the words courage, great, intelligent, daring, brilliant and faithful may come to mind.  I've got a new name that replaces those words, Von Johnson.   My friend. My brother.  My cousin.  My new HERO. How and what does that have to do with the title? Yesterday, I observed what it means to live the final portion of your wedding vows,  "till death do us part"...... I can't even put it into words how I felt yesterday.  The only word that comes close is "helpless".   It was one of the rare moments in life where you want to take someone else's pain and throw it down the river and start fresh. I learned what the measure of a man is all about.   Can you live on life's edge and handle all it dishes out?  Can you stand in the toughest moments of opposit

Pete's Road Trip

Two weeks ago my friend Pete decided to take a road trip without me. If you're like me, you're probably thinking some friend right? I guess it goes to show you that like most friendships, we too were total opposites. In our teen years, Pete was always there for my major sports accomplishments. For example, when we went to team camp at High Point University he and I won the 2 on 2 competition for the first time, together. A few years later we won the North Carolina State 3-A Basketball Title, and in my sophomore year of college he was in the stands when I scored my first collegiate touchdown. He and our mutual friend Johnny were going nuts. I celebrated so hard that Lamont Burns had to slap me so that we could kick the extra point. Pete was like a little brother to me. So like any other sibling relationship, I would have never told him that he was my motivation for my many athletic accomplishments. It's a part of the unspoken sibling code, worry your brothers, sis