Skip to main content

Poor Taste

Recently, I posted on my facebook status that I fell like I should have been around in the 60's because I've got a ton of fight in me to be something great! Little did I know the 60's lived on my block.

A few days ago I was walking my daughters home from school and my 7 year old said, "daddy look, that looks like the men in the black history books". I immediately asked her what she was talking about. Then she pointed at the image below. I had to hit the instant replay button on the remote in my head. For those that don't know, I grew up in the south so you can only imagine the levity of the observation after I made eye contact with what she was referring to.
Unknowingly, I immediately felt the residual emotional effects of the stories of my great-grandparents, grandparents and parents. Part of me wanted to cut it down and part of me wanted to teach my daughters a history lesson. It was one of those times in life where I was so in shock that did none of the above. I've been stuck on pause for a few days. I've sought the advice of some of my most rational friends, I've prayed, I've studied and I've even done more homework on the image. Needless to say I was still at square one until earlier today.

As I jogged past the insensitive image I saw a woman of color getting out of a car. I believe she noticed the question mark look in my eyes as I gazed at the stuffed lynched man. She stopped me and said, "young man, don't you pay that no mind that's just "Poor Taste". I said Ms. if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? she said, "89 baby", now finish your run. That quiet subtle statement was the lesson that I needed to teach my children how to respond to pure ignorance. She gave me a two way street to be Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. or Stokley Carmichael. The residual scars of the past are for me to empower, educate, motivate and denounce all fear of success to my children and those alike. So tomorrow I will empower my children to not indulge in "Poor Taste". I challenge you to do the same.


Comments

Gail Raiford said…
JJ I had the same feelings as you at first, but the more I thought, the more I chalked it up to ignorance. Everyone in this day and age knows the significance of a lynched fiqure so the person that hung it wanted a response from someone so that it could be used against all of us. Hooray to the lady that crossed your path and pointed you in the right direction. If you see her again give her a KISS for me.
Y. Titus said…
I love the way God talks to us. He understands us better then we do. I Love this story it speaks on so many levels. Thanks for not moving, just being moved!!!!
Unknown said…
JJ. I know that when we seek clarity from the right source, HE will send people in our direction even if only to meet once in order to give us the answer we need. I do believe the elder sister you crossed paths with was the answer you needed. With all she has surely seen in her lifetime, if she was able to chalk it up to poor taste then I would do just that. I'm pretty sure it wasn't ignorance as I find it hard to believe your neighbor was unaware of the possible interpretations of the display, so yes I would chalk it up to poor and insensitive taste.
Melson Tookes said…
JJ, I took the time to read your comments and I will say that you are to be commended for the way in which you handled this situation. Racism is still very prevalent in society today as shown in this subtle and tasteless overtone. The elder woman served as a source of courage and strength for you to do the right thing and you have shown that same strength for your children. Racism in any form is a very ugly thing but we combat it with knowledge and love. Love you my brother!

Melson
MarciK said…
This post was very insightful! I love it that you took the time to ponder and pray and that your answer came through an angel on this earth. What a great example you are to your daughters!

Popular posts from this blog

The Measure of a Man.........

the details are below the photos it's a must read story for the men.... The title of this blog maybe familiar to some, it's that of the autobiography of actor Sidney Poitier.  When you mention his name the words courage, great, intelligent, daring, brilliant and faithful may come to mind.  I've got a new name that replaces those words, Von Johnson.   My friend. My brother.  My cousin.  My new HERO. How and what does that have to do with the title? Yesterday, I observed what it means to live the final portion of your wedding vows,  "till death do us part"...... I can't even put it into words how I felt yesterday.  The only word that comes close is "helpless".   It was one of the rare moments in life where you want to take someone else's pain and throw it down the river and start fresh. I learned what the measure of a man is all about.   Can you live on life's edge and handle all it dishes out?  Can you stand in the toughest moments of opposit

The Players That You Never Knew

With the opening Friday Night of the 2014 high school football season on the horizon, every barbershop in every small-town in America is probably buzzing with the conversation of who are greatest high school football players of all time.  It's a valid question considering the pool of talent that passes through most small towns.  People often wonder where these guys end up long after their playing days are over.  I've often asked the same question about many of my ex-teammates. Two in particular, Darius Brewnington and Kenny Shaw. If you were an athlete in the early 1990's they were arguably considered two of the most influential athletes in North Carolina's rich high school football history.  Unfortunately, like many other high profile athletes life happens.  However, even with the growing pains of life every man has his day of redemption.  With Darius and Kenny being former teammates of mine I wanted to see for myself who they are 20 years removed from fame. So t

Pete's Road Trip

Two weeks ago my friend Pete decided to take a road trip without me. If you're like me, you're probably thinking some friend right? I guess it goes to show you that like most friendships, we too were total opposites. In our teen years, Pete was always there for my major sports accomplishments. For example, when we went to team camp at High Point University he and I won the 2 on 2 competition for the first time, together. A few years later we won the North Carolina State 3-A Basketball Title, and in my sophomore year of college he was in the stands when I scored my first collegiate touchdown. He and our mutual friend Johnny were going nuts. I celebrated so hard that Lamont Burns had to slap me so that we could kick the extra point. Pete was like a little brother to me. So like any other sibling relationship, I would have never told him that he was my motivation for my many athletic accomplishments. It's a part of the unspoken sibling code, worry your brothers, sis