Skip to main content

High Point The Way I See It



High Point is an experience.  It’s the foundation of my success and the core of my being.  It’s been a road map to freedom for millions.  She’s rich in tradition and considered by many to be a melting pot for the Carolinas.  In 1995 when I left for college I had no idea in the years that would follow, that High Point would be so heavily engrained in my soul. 

As young a person it’s easy to allow the quest for greatness to become tainted by life.  High Point is who I am, the people, the sites, the smell of the handcrafted furniture being engineered by thousands and the authenticity of who High Point as a community.  In those un-pure moments the thought of those things will remind you of whom and who’s you are.  

This weekend as I cruised by High Point University I was reminded by the voices of the great ones that are no longer with us. I thought about Mr. Fo Fo working in the cafeteria during my high school days at summer basketball camp.  I could hear him saying, “McQueen you better eat so you can shoot that ball boy”! He was a tough guy from the streets but he cared about us young people.  High Point represents the simple things that make life grand. The Mary Lou Blakneys, the Hank Walls, the Ed Price’s of the world, the Jerry Camps, the Ken Browns and the Bruce Davis’s working to build wealth beyond a dollar.  Priceless!

My most recent visit was one that caused me to lose sleep.  I didn’t lose sleep because it was negative experience, but because I was in awe over the depth of the traditions and the history that I’ve been privy to my entire life. I guess it’s safe to say I’ve had my “Ah Hah” moment.  Growing up, I always knew that I was surrounded by pioneers, but now understanding what to do with that information has me stretching to the next level. 

The next level requires me to be a teacher as well as a quiet student.  The next level requires me to bridge the challenging social and economic gaps within my community.  It requires me to understand and to embrace my history.  It also requires me to be a “freedom rider”.  High Point has charged me along with my peers to be the next cream of the crop. 

So, to the William Penn family there will never be another you.  You’re great in all that you do and have done. Your names are in the record books.   To the Friends of Coltrane, you’ve answered the call of the legends of yesteryear and the promise of those of tomorrow.
High Point the way I see it you are and always will be the best!    

Sincerely, Your native Son.   
    



Photography Student Kelsey Dickey

William Penn Alumni


The Tiger
The Stars of the John Coltrane Jazz Festival 

Legendary Jazz Vocalist Patti Austin

William Penn Class of "58"

Comments

Olivia Shaw said…
JJ this is beautiful. I read this to someone and they were really moved by your insight. I love, you keep living and learning.
Leroy m said…
Even though you're my family, it's great to see such prominent business men such as yourself still take an interest in High Point the way that you do. I wish you much success on your journey and God bless.
Patrick Medley said…
I see you recognize some things I saw years ago. I hope I carried myself in a manner that you learned from as a student-athlete before you and as a humanitarian like you. I salute you.

Pmedley

Popular posts from this blog

The Measure of a Man.........

the details are below the photos it's a must read story for the men.... The title of this blog maybe familiar to some, it's that of the autobiography of actor Sidney Poitier.  When you mention his name the words courage, great, intelligent, daring, brilliant and faithful may come to mind.  I've got a new name that replaces those words, Von Johnson.   My friend. My brother.  My cousin.  My new HERO. How and what does that have to do with the title? Yesterday, I observed what it means to live the final portion of your wedding vows,  "till death do us part"...... I can't even put it into words how I felt yesterday.  The only word that comes close is "helpless".   It was one of the rare moments in life where you want to take someone else's pain and throw it down the river and start fresh. I learned what the measure of a man is all about.   Can you live on life's edge and handle all it dishes out?  Can you stand in the toughest moments of opposit

The Players That You Never Knew

With the opening Friday Night of the 2014 high school football season on the horizon, every barbershop in every small-town in America is probably buzzing with the conversation of who are greatest high school football players of all time.  It's a valid question considering the pool of talent that passes through most small towns.  People often wonder where these guys end up long after their playing days are over.  I've often asked the same question about many of my ex-teammates. Two in particular, Darius Brewnington and Kenny Shaw. If you were an athlete in the early 1990's they were arguably considered two of the most influential athletes in North Carolina's rich high school football history.  Unfortunately, like many other high profile athletes life happens.  However, even with the growing pains of life every man has his day of redemption.  With Darius and Kenny being former teammates of mine I wanted to see for myself who they are 20 years removed from fame. So t

Pete's Road Trip

Two weeks ago my friend Pete decided to take a road trip without me. If you're like me, you're probably thinking some friend right? I guess it goes to show you that like most friendships, we too were total opposites. In our teen years, Pete was always there for my major sports accomplishments. For example, when we went to team camp at High Point University he and I won the 2 on 2 competition for the first time, together. A few years later we won the North Carolina State 3-A Basketball Title, and in my sophomore year of college he was in the stands when I scored my first collegiate touchdown. He and our mutual friend Johnny were going nuts. I celebrated so hard that Lamont Burns had to slap me so that we could kick the extra point. Pete was like a little brother to me. So like any other sibling relationship, I would have never told him that he was my motivation for my many athletic accomplishments. It's a part of the unspoken sibling code, worry your brothers, sis