Skip to main content

The Vision's Mission

THREE years ago when I decided to turn my passion for photo-journalism into something with it's own identity, I never factored in how the world would receive me.  I often reflect back to my childhood growing up in a Southern Baptist Church, focusing on the things that we were required to know.  I had to learn hymns because my mom was the choir director, a ton of black history and the other was a scripture.  For some reason out of the three the scripture is what I held onto. Don't ask me how because most of the time I was day dreaming about scoring touchdowns.  The scripture that I was most fond of was from the book of Proverbs 18:16; It read, "A man's gift makes room for him, and brings him before great men".  The translation for me as a kid was if I had a good job I'd get paid and meet famous people. Needless to say that my childhood interpretation wasn't to far off the mark. More importantly  the one thing that I've grown to learn about that particular passage is that it wasn't specific in the age of the men that we'd stand before...  Also, the greatness of the men that I've met hasn't always been measured by finances, it's been measured by their character and innocence.  

Where am I going with this story? 

This year I've found myself standing before over one thousand boys and girls speaking on my journey as an African-American Visual Media-Journalist from High Point, North Carolina by way of Trinity, North Carolina.  In my statement of purpose, I said, "I want to impact the masses with the simplicity of pictures and sound".  When I sat down to write that statement I never considered the age of my audience.  I never considered what my image would look like once it was captured along side my audience.  

My colleague Robert Dulin helped me figure it out with one single shot. Vision Beyond the Lens is much larger than creating web content.  It's here to help people understand with each image there's a purpose for cause and effect.  There's always a need for social change as well as a need for global impact.  

This year with the assistance from many of you reading this blog entry my company Goal Line Media was able to give away over nearly 100 coats during the coldest stretch of the 2011-2012 winter.  So standing on the shoulders of what some would consider a giant, I along with many of you have to keep the Vision Beyond the Lens alive.  

It's about the little ones in the photo with me below and standing in the company with the great ones even before they know that they're great.  

Thanks for always supporting the VISION. 

-J.J. McQueen- photo: by Robert Dulin 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Measure of a Man.........

the details are below the photos it's a must read story for the men.... The title of this blog maybe familiar to some, it's that of the autobiography of actor Sidney Poitier.  When you mention his name the words courage, great, intelligent, daring, brilliant and faithful may come to mind.  I've got a new name that replaces those words, Von Johnson.   My friend. My brother.  My cousin.  My new HERO. How and what does that have to do with the title? Yesterday, I observed what it means to live the final portion of your wedding vows,  "till death do us part"...... I can't even put it into words how I felt yesterday.  The only word that comes close is "helpless".   It was one of the rare moments in life where you want to take someone else's pain and throw it down the river and start fresh. I learned what the measure of a man is all about.   Can you live on life's edge and handle all it dishes out?  Can you stand in the toughest moments of opposit

The Players That You Never Knew

With the opening Friday Night of the 2014 high school football season on the horizon, every barbershop in every small-town in America is probably buzzing with the conversation of who are greatest high school football players of all time.  It's a valid question considering the pool of talent that passes through most small towns.  People often wonder where these guys end up long after their playing days are over.  I've often asked the same question about many of my ex-teammates. Two in particular, Darius Brewnington and Kenny Shaw. If you were an athlete in the early 1990's they were arguably considered two of the most influential athletes in North Carolina's rich high school football history.  Unfortunately, like many other high profile athletes life happens.  However, even with the growing pains of life every man has his day of redemption.  With Darius and Kenny being former teammates of mine I wanted to see for myself who they are 20 years removed from fame. So t

Pete's Road Trip

Two weeks ago my friend Pete decided to take a road trip without me. If you're like me, you're probably thinking some friend right? I guess it goes to show you that like most friendships, we too were total opposites. In our teen years, Pete was always there for my major sports accomplishments. For example, when we went to team camp at High Point University he and I won the 2 on 2 competition for the first time, together. A few years later we won the North Carolina State 3-A Basketball Title, and in my sophomore year of college he was in the stands when I scored my first collegiate touchdown. He and our mutual friend Johnny were going nuts. I celebrated so hard that Lamont Burns had to slap me so that we could kick the extra point. Pete was like a little brother to me. So like any other sibling relationship, I would have never told him that he was my motivation for my many athletic accomplishments. It's a part of the unspoken sibling code, worry your brothers, sis