Skip to main content

The Difference Among Us -High Point-

Recently, I spent some long overdue time with an old family friend.  Needless to say the time that we spent together was priceless.  I was reminded of why it's important to preserve the past while enhancing the present and the future.  Post our conversation, the theme that resonated with me most has been accountability.  If a person decided to research the history of the pioneers and settlers all across the world, most would find that they all shared in the responsibility to build a solid today and forecast good things for tomorrow, all by holding one another accountable.  Accountability is characteristic that is rapidly fading to black.  I mean that in a very literal sense.  Some may say that I'm out of touch because of my expectations...  Arguably, that may be a valid point.  However, having high expectations of people is unrealistic period, because people change as much as the wind blows. 

In the my early days of training to be a visual media-journalist I was taught that the film doesn't lie. During my senior year at East Carolina University, I had a professor by the name of Dr. Robert Caprio, and he would always say to us, "if you shoot enough images eventually there will be no need for words to describe any one of them".  That's a statement that I've always held onto.  What he meant was, if you take enough shots, eventually you'll learn how to tell the story so that you don't have to explain what every image means.  

A few years ago I took a still shot of the train tracks overlooking the Centennial Street bridge in my hometown of High Point, North Carolina.  Dr. Caprio's statement started ringing in my head.  In retrospect, that shot began to represent more elements than just art.  For me it represents the corridors of a layered social economic educational cast system.  What do I mean by this?  It's the continental divide between the educators like the Rosetta C. Baldwins of the world, and the real meaning of the "No Child Left Behind Act".

As I get older, those tracks represent the haves, the have nots, the I wishes and the I've got what you want residents.  In my recent visits I was told that race is a major factor in the continental divide.  I'd be a fool to believe that race isn't a factor but it's not the final determining factor.  From where I sit, EDUCATION is.  It's the fundamental foundation that separates all of the above.  It's the one common denominator that represents freedom for everyone.

After I took these images, I had to find out where these raw visual emotions where coming from.  They lead me to The Rosetta C. Baldwin Historical African American Museum.  I soon realized that just because I was never a student of Ms. Baldwin, it didn't mean that I was never a student.  My educational foundation was passed down to me from her former students which makes me a former student.  Ms. Baldwin taught long before it was given a title that the "No Child Left Behind Act" really represents action.  In order for children of all colors not to be left behind, especially children of color, there has to be one thing that oversees their success.  One man or one woman that believes in a community more than the community itself.  The success of the African American community in High Point started in a small house, with a small statured woman, who had prior and post her death global influence.

Although my children aren't residents of High Point, North Carolina, they will visit this place because "daddy" is a byproduct of  the rich history inside of it.  Hopefully they too will get a glimpse of what I was afforded as a child.  

So I challenge everyone reading this blog to visit The Rosetta C. Baldwin Historical African American Museum located in High Point, North Carolina.

Special thanks to Mr. Julius Clark, Museum Director for preserving the legacy of our community.    


Comments

Anonymous said…
That's good stuff big Bro!!!
mrsjghad said…
My brother was a student of her school. I never realized how important she was to education. Great post!

Popular posts from this blog

The Measure of a Man.........

the details are below the photos it's a must read story for the men.... The title of this blog maybe familiar to some, it's that of the autobiography of actor Sidney Poitier.  When you mention his name the words courage, great, intelligent, daring, brilliant and faithful may come to mind.  I've got a new name that replaces those words, Von Johnson.   My friend. My brother.  My cousin.  My new HERO. How and what does that have to do with the title? Yesterday, I observed what it means to live the final portion of your wedding vows,  "till death do us part"...... I can't even put it into words how I felt yesterday.  The only word that comes close is "helpless".   It was one of the rare moments in life where you want to take someone else's pain and throw it down the river and start fresh. I learned what the measure of a man is all about.   Can you live on life's edge and handle all it dishes out?  Can you stand in the toughest moments of opposit

The Players That You Never Knew

With the opening Friday Night of the 2014 high school football season on the horizon, every barbershop in every small-town in America is probably buzzing with the conversation of who are greatest high school football players of all time.  It's a valid question considering the pool of talent that passes through most small towns.  People often wonder where these guys end up long after their playing days are over.  I've often asked the same question about many of my ex-teammates. Two in particular, Darius Brewnington and Kenny Shaw. If you were an athlete in the early 1990's they were arguably considered two of the most influential athletes in North Carolina's rich high school football history.  Unfortunately, like many other high profile athletes life happens.  However, even with the growing pains of life every man has his day of redemption.  With Darius and Kenny being former teammates of mine I wanted to see for myself who they are 20 years removed from fame. So t

Pete's Road Trip

Two weeks ago my friend Pete decided to take a road trip without me. If you're like me, you're probably thinking some friend right? I guess it goes to show you that like most friendships, we too were total opposites. In our teen years, Pete was always there for my major sports accomplishments. For example, when we went to team camp at High Point University he and I won the 2 on 2 competition for the first time, together. A few years later we won the North Carolina State 3-A Basketball Title, and in my sophomore year of college he was in the stands when I scored my first collegiate touchdown. He and our mutual friend Johnny were going nuts. I celebrated so hard that Lamont Burns had to slap me so that we could kick the extra point. Pete was like a little brother to me. So like any other sibling relationship, I would have never told him that he was my motivation for my many athletic accomplishments. It's a part of the unspoken sibling code, worry your brothers, sis