Skip to main content

Are Black Colleges real or are they Memorex?


At the horizon of this college football season, I had a brief conversation with a good friend of mine about the relevance of historically black colleges and universities (HBCU’s).  At the time of the conversation I wasn’t prepared to defend or deny the validity of HBCU’s.  That held true until I signed on with the Heritage Sports Radio Network as the internet-photo/video content producer.  Fast forward to the midway point of the 2012 college football season and I’m ready to exploit the need for HBCU’s.  Some could make the argument that since I’m not an HBCU graduate, I may not be equipped to hold my own in the conversation.  For those with those thoughts, I say to you that photos and videos are the undeniable truth when a man is proving a point.

I’m sure just like many major and mid-major institutions they have their internal and external challenges.  However, the dream and quest for equal education for all minority students still holds true to the likes of larger institutions.  This season I’ve been afforded the opportunity to capture images that represent a shade of brown that even I can’t relate to but can respect.  In the conversation that I referenced earlier my friend asked, “couldn’t HBCU’s be considered segregated institutions or viewed as racist entities”?  It was a great question, so much of a great question I’ve held onto it for the past 3 months. Also it’s one that I failed to answer at the time that I was asked.  Fortunately, I finally had a revelation.

So far this season we’ve witnessed Jackson State University, Morehouse College, Clark-Atlanta, Southern University, Tennessee State University and Benedict College and that’s the short list.  While visiting these institutions I’ve seen students from every race on campus.  I’ve had numerous opportunities to ask many of them why they chose their respective schools. There was overwhelming response of, “my school has had a way of preserving and educating me on a part of my life that I never knew existed”.  One young man said, “I grew up in a wealthy family and I never knew what the fuss of the struggle was about, now I get it and now I respect it.  So, are black colleges real or are they Memorex? 

I’ve learned that it’s a question that I can’t answer but it’s a cause that I can support.  I’ll always have two very unique perspectives that only few have about college life.  One as a former student athlete and the other as a visual media-journalist… They both allow me to bare witness to poetry in motion.  HBCU’s are filled with greatness, tradition, unique perspective, history and sacred love that can’t be delivered at any place other than HBCU’s.  Mainly due to the fact that the brand of students that HBCU’s attract require the type of love attention that only HBCU’s are equipped to deliver.  An education is greater than the words on the page…
To follow the journey with the team and I log onto www.HSRN.com the voice and visual reference for HBCU Sports.  Below are a few of my images from the season.
 
Thanks for always supporting the vision. 

–J.J. McQueen-



BET Supporter of HBCU College tour


HSRN the voice and visual reference of HBCU Sports


Jackson State Stadium home of -Sweetness-


Hall of Greatness 

Morehouse College -Wake up-


SU Skill Guys


Clark-Atlanta on the Yard BET College Tour 


Clark-Atlanta on the Yard BET College Tour


Circle City Classic -Lucas Oil Stadium-

Comments

Jeff said…
Really Loved what you had to say. We have supported many HBCUs in one way or another and have several degrees from HBCUs http://hbcunews.net/
mrsjghad said…
I cannot begin to articulate all the reasons why I love my alma mater. I will say that along with my parents, A&T has shaped my worldview in ways I could never imagine. It has allowed me to compete on the playing field with individuals from historically white colleges and universites, but I never wavered because of my foundation. Great post.

Popular posts from this blog

The Measure of a Man.........

the details are below the photos it's a must read story for the men.... The title of this blog maybe familiar to some, it's that of the autobiography of actor Sidney Poitier.  When you mention his name the words courage, great, intelligent, daring, brilliant and faithful may come to mind.  I've got a new name that replaces those words, Von Johnson.   My friend. My brother.  My cousin.  My new HERO. How and what does that have to do with the title? Yesterday, I observed what it means to live the final portion of your wedding vows,  "till death do us part"...... I can't even put it into words how I felt yesterday.  The only word that comes close is "helpless".   It was one of the rare moments in life where you want to take someone else's pain and throw it down the river and start fresh. I learned what the measure of a man is all about.   Can you live on life's edge and handle all it dishes out?  Can you stand in the toughest moments of opposit

The Players That You Never Knew

With the opening Friday Night of the 2014 high school football season on the horizon, every barbershop in every small-town in America is probably buzzing with the conversation of who are greatest high school football players of all time.  It's a valid question considering the pool of talent that passes through most small towns.  People often wonder where these guys end up long after their playing days are over.  I've often asked the same question about many of my ex-teammates. Two in particular, Darius Brewnington and Kenny Shaw. If you were an athlete in the early 1990's they were arguably considered two of the most influential athletes in North Carolina's rich high school football history.  Unfortunately, like many other high profile athletes life happens.  However, even with the growing pains of life every man has his day of redemption.  With Darius and Kenny being former teammates of mine I wanted to see for myself who they are 20 years removed from fame. So t

Pete's Road Trip

Two weeks ago my friend Pete decided to take a road trip without me. If you're like me, you're probably thinking some friend right? I guess it goes to show you that like most friendships, we too were total opposites. In our teen years, Pete was always there for my major sports accomplishments. For example, when we went to team camp at High Point University he and I won the 2 on 2 competition for the first time, together. A few years later we won the North Carolina State 3-A Basketball Title, and in my sophomore year of college he was in the stands when I scored my first collegiate touchdown. He and our mutual friend Johnny were going nuts. I celebrated so hard that Lamont Burns had to slap me so that we could kick the extra point. Pete was like a little brother to me. So like any other sibling relationship, I would have never told him that he was my motivation for my many athletic accomplishments. It's a part of the unspoken sibling code, worry your brothers, sis