Skip to main content

Puerto Rico, Nikon, Curtis Mayfield, and Me...

There are moments in your career when you know that something's special is about to happen. I call them, "Vision Spots". They're the small things that remind us of the possibilities of greatness when our dreams are in motion.

Prior to my recent trip to Puerto Rico, I had that familiar feeling of knowing that something special was about to unfold. However, that feeling didn't come without serious opposition. The day before I left I had to purchase a new Nikon D750, assist my elderly uncle, and manage tons of other adult responsibilities. Fortunately, I know that there's always sun on the other side of rain clouds.

It was my first trip to Puerto Rico, and I'd heard from many of my friends how beautiful it was. So while our flight was descending I could see much of what they'd told me about. The small villages and beaches along the coastline. I knew that when my feet hit the ground that I couldn't be anything less than pleased. Before all of the excitement of working in a new location hit me, the reality of the ever so dreaded luggage fight sunk in. Even that turned out not to be so bad, because shortly after I grabbed my luggage I look up and see one of my former college football teammates. That moment confirmation that it was going to be an amazing trip. I quickly realized that I was going to be having a number of inner sidebar conversations with myself about how this trip was going to flow.

I also came to the fast conclusion that I wasn't going to paying twenty plus dollars every time I want to go somewhere. So when we arrived at the hotel wouldn't know that they had courtesy bikes! The big fella had FREE wheels.


My Ride 










I took advantage of the early morning rides. I put on my "Beats" and road out at 7 am to tunes of Curtis Mayfield. The soundtrack reminded me to see the world the way that I see it. It was a reminder that the humanity that I capture stateside, should also be captured along its' borders. So I took my new Nikon D750 and maximized the moments.
Dominos 

Cocco Man


Older Couple 
Real People 
Don't lose your purpose. Take it all in, and see the world the way that you see it...

Puerto Rico, Nikon, Curtis Mayfield, and Me!

To be continued...













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Measure of a Man.........

the details are below the photos it's a must read story for the men.... The title of this blog maybe familiar to some, it's that of the autobiography of actor Sidney Poitier.  When you mention his name the words courage, great, intelligent, daring, brilliant and faithful may come to mind.  I've got a new name that replaces those words, Von Johnson.   My friend. My brother.  My cousin.  My new HERO. How and what does that have to do with the title? Yesterday, I observed what it means to live the final portion of your wedding vows,  "till death do us part"...... I can't even put it into words how I felt yesterday.  The only word that comes close is "helpless".   It was one of the rare moments in life where you want to take someone else's pain and throw it down the river and start fresh. I learned what the measure of a man is all about.   Can you live on life's edge and handle all it dishes out?  Can you stand in the toughest moments of opposit

The Players That You Never Knew

With the opening Friday Night of the 2014 high school football season on the horizon, every barbershop in every small-town in America is probably buzzing with the conversation of who are greatest high school football players of all time.  It's a valid question considering the pool of talent that passes through most small towns.  People often wonder where these guys end up long after their playing days are over.  I've often asked the same question about many of my ex-teammates. Two in particular, Darius Brewnington and Kenny Shaw. If you were an athlete in the early 1990's they were arguably considered two of the most influential athletes in North Carolina's rich high school football history.  Unfortunately, like many other high profile athletes life happens.  However, even with the growing pains of life every man has his day of redemption.  With Darius and Kenny being former teammates of mine I wanted to see for myself who they are 20 years removed from fame. So t

Pete's Road Trip

Two weeks ago my friend Pete decided to take a road trip without me. If you're like me, you're probably thinking some friend right? I guess it goes to show you that like most friendships, we too were total opposites. In our teen years, Pete was always there for my major sports accomplishments. For example, when we went to team camp at High Point University he and I won the 2 on 2 competition for the first time, together. A few years later we won the North Carolina State 3-A Basketball Title, and in my sophomore year of college he was in the stands when I scored my first collegiate touchdown. He and our mutual friend Johnny were going nuts. I celebrated so hard that Lamont Burns had to slap me so that we could kick the extra point. Pete was like a little brother to me. So like any other sibling relationship, I would have never told him that he was my motivation for my many athletic accomplishments. It's a part of the unspoken sibling code, worry your brothers, sis