Skip to main content

BOTSO, INC.

In 1993 I was introduced to a community youth organization by the name of, BOTSO.  My friends and I used to meet with the group's advisers at the old 4th street YMCA in High Point, NC.  As one can imagine like most community youth organizations it sounds as if it was established for the at risk youth in our area.  It's a leadership program designed for young men. Mr. Hank Wall and the founding members of BOTSO recognized that the young men in our community needed more than just a gym.  They understood that young men like myself that derived from stable environments could benefit as much as our peers that were less privileged.  They had the for site to establish a social and educational extension of our schools and home lives. I remember our advisors from the past and present always treating every youth as if we were at risk. Self-improvement was always right now.  

Fast forward to 2008, fifteen years later BOTSO is stronger than ever. Many of us in the class of 93' have moved on to do some pretty positive things and the classes the followed assumed the same position.  BOTSO, has produced college graduates, professional athletes, fathers, husbands, community leaders and so much more.    

J.J.'s definition of Philanthropy - giving of ones self, time and resources ="s BOTSO,  Brothers Organized To Save Others! 

Below are some photos that I grabbed from the past and present during my recent visit with Mr. Hank Wall Executive director of BOTSO.  Please visit www.botso.org and find out more information on how you can help contribute to BOTSO's new Self-Improvement Center.

As always thanks for listening.    

The Message.


The Core.

The Purpose.


The Outcome.


The Vehicle.



BOTOS's Next Great Mission...  The Self-Improvement Center



Comments

Anonymous said…
J.J they had an article int the paper about Mr Wall the other month....wow ....u opened my to sumthin in my own community ....and ur out of state...lol....yes i'm gonna do better....K.G

Popular posts from this blog

The Measure of a Man.........

the details are below the photos it's a must read story for the men.... The title of this blog maybe familiar to some, it's that of the autobiography of actor Sidney Poitier.  When you mention his name the words courage, great, intelligent, daring, brilliant and faithful may come to mind.  I've got a new name that replaces those words, Von Johnson.   My friend. My brother.  My cousin.  My new HERO. How and what does that have to do with the title? Yesterday, I observed what it means to live the final portion of your wedding vows,  "till death do us part"...... I can't even put it into words how I felt yesterday.  The only word that comes close is "helpless".   It was one of the rare moments in life where you want to take someone else's pain and throw it down the river and start fresh. I learned what the measure of a man is all about.   Can you live on life's edge and handle all it dishes out?  Can you stand in the toughest moments of opposit

The Players That You Never Knew

With the opening Friday Night of the 2014 high school football season on the horizon, every barbershop in every small-town in America is probably buzzing with the conversation of who are greatest high school football players of all time.  It's a valid question considering the pool of talent that passes through most small towns.  People often wonder where these guys end up long after their playing days are over.  I've often asked the same question about many of my ex-teammates. Two in particular, Darius Brewnington and Kenny Shaw. If you were an athlete in the early 1990's they were arguably considered two of the most influential athletes in North Carolina's rich high school football history.  Unfortunately, like many other high profile athletes life happens.  However, even with the growing pains of life every man has his day of redemption.  With Darius and Kenny being former teammates of mine I wanted to see for myself who they are 20 years removed from fame. So t

Pete's Road Trip

Two weeks ago my friend Pete decided to take a road trip without me. If you're like me, you're probably thinking some friend right? I guess it goes to show you that like most friendships, we too were total opposites. In our teen years, Pete was always there for my major sports accomplishments. For example, when we went to team camp at High Point University he and I won the 2 on 2 competition for the first time, together. A few years later we won the North Carolina State 3-A Basketball Title, and in my sophomore year of college he was in the stands when I scored my first collegiate touchdown. He and our mutual friend Johnny were going nuts. I celebrated so hard that Lamont Burns had to slap me so that we could kick the extra point. Pete was like a little brother to me. So like any other sibling relationship, I would have never told him that he was my motivation for my many athletic accomplishments. It's a part of the unspoken sibling code, worry your brothers, sis